DC Consortium Guidelines
Washington, DC area Consortium of Doctoral Programs in Clinical Psychology Externship Guidelines for 2017
For Sites and for Students
The Greater Washington Area Directors of Clinical Training (GWADCT) helps coordinate the annual offering and accepting of externship placements by clinical psychology graduate students.
We will adhere to a Universal Student Acceptance Date Approach. Specifically, our students will not accept an externship offer until Friday, March 31, 2017. Externships can make offers at whatever point they would like, but the students are not be permitted to accept an offer until 9:00 a.m. on March 31.
We ask the externship training sites to follow the following guidelines:
- Students can accept externship offers on Friday, March 31, 2017, starting at 9:00 am.
- Students must decide on offers made after 9:00 am within one hour up until 5:00 pm. Offers made after 4:00 pm carry over to the next weekday at 10:00 am.
- Externship directors may make offers before Friday, March 31, 2017, but students cannot accept them until that date, starting at 9:00 am. Students may reject offers or withdraw from consideration before Friday, March 31, 2017.
- Both externship directors and students do not attempt to elicit information from each other regarding their status or ranking prior to the acceptance date.
- Externship directors should notify applicants that they are no longer under consideration by the site at the earliest possible date in advance of the acceptance date.
- The university/school and the externship training director should complete externship training contracts as early as possible after the acceptance date.
- Externships should not exceed 16 hours in a two-day block and should not require externs to take work home.
- Externship directors should inform students of required times that they need to be present at the training facility (e.g., staff meeting every Thursday, 9-11 am) at the time of interviews.
- Individual face-to-face supervision should occur at least 25% of the time that externs spend in service-related activities (i.e., treatment, assessment, interviews, report-writing, case presentations, and consultations).
- We require direct observations of externs’ service related activities with clients (live or electronically) at least once per semester to comply with APA’s Observation Standards. Audio recordings are not sufficient.
- We encourage stipends for externs.